Every four years, voters across Ontario elect municipal councillors and school board trustees.

The Province of Ontario sets out common rules that all voters and candidates must follow. However, municipalities are responsible for conducting elections to their council and for conducting the election of school trustees to Ontario’s school boards. This guide contains information about the rules that are the same for all municipal elections, such as who is eligible to vote.

2022 Voters' Guide - Ontario municipal council and school board elections

 Eligibility to vote in Cornwall municipal election

To be eligible to vote in for Cornwall municipal council you meet all of the following requirements:

  • you are a Canadian citizen
  • you are aged 18 or older
  • you qualify to vote in the municipality

There are three ways that you can qualify to vote in a municipality:

  1. As a resident elector if you live in the municipality. You may own, rent, live in shared accommodation where you do not pay rent or live in the municipality but do not have a fixed address. Being a resident elector is the most common type of eligibility.
  2. As a non-resident elector if you own or rent property in a municipality, but it’s not the one where you live. You can be a resident elector in only one municipality. However, you can be a non-resident elector in any other municipality (or municipalities) where you own or rent property.
  3. As the spouse of a non-resident elector if your spouse owns or rents property in the municipality or municipalities other than the one where you live.

Neither you nor your spouse qualify as a non-resident elector if you do not personally own or rent the property in the municipality. For example, if the property is owned by your business or your cottage is owned by a trust, you would not qualify as a non-resident elector.

 Eligibility to vote in local school board election

School board elections are held at the same time as municipal elections. You are permitted to vote in the same school board election only once.

You are eligible to vote in the election for a school board if you meet all of the following requirements:

  • you are a Canadian citizen
  • you are aged 18 or older
  • you qualify to vote for that particular school board

School boards can cover large geographic areas that may include several municipalities. School boards are responsible for establishing the geographic areas within the board that one or more trustee positions will be elected to represent.

If you are a resident elector in a municipality, you are eligible to vote for the school trustee(s) that represents the geographic area of the board where you live.

 Local school boards
 There are four (4) school boards:
  • Upper Canada District School Board (English Public). One (1) to be elected
  • Catholic District School Board of Eastern Ontario (English Separate). Two (2) to be elected
  • Conseil scolaire de district catholique de l'Est ontarien (French Separate). One (1) to be elected
  • Conseil des écoles publiques de l'Est de l'Ontario (French Public). One (1) to be elected

You are automatically eligible to vote for the English-language public school board (Upper Canada District School Board) unless you take steps to change and become a supporter of a different kind of board.

 How will I know if I am on the voters' list?

Eligible voters must be on the Voters' List to vote in the 2022 Municipal Election.  You can check by clicking the image above or go to: voterlookup.ca

By logging into voterlookup.ca, eligible electors can:

  • confirm or update their electoral information;
  • add an elector name to an address; and,
  • change school support for the purpose of voting in a school board election.

The Municipal Property Assessment Corporation (MPAC) is responsible for collecting the information of residents (name, date of birth, citizenship and school support) in order to create a Preliminary List of Electors for the Cornwall Municipal and School Board elections.

MPAC is committed to excellence in program delivery and strives to provide you with the most efficient services while protecting your privacy and meeting its statutory obligations. MPAC will only collect and use personal information that is absolutely necessary to deliver legally authorized programs and services.

 When and where will I be able to vote?
 Starting in August this website will have all the dates, times and locations available for voting.

For more information on all election matters, you may contact the Office of the City Clerk from Monday to Friday, from 8:30 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. and from 1:00 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. 

Manon L. Levesque, City Clerk and Returning Officer
Corporate Services
The Corporation of the City of Cornwall
360 Pitt Street, Cornwall, Ontario, K6J 3P9
613-930-2787 ext. 2316 Phone
613-933-1860 Fax
Cornwall Election Headquarters

phone icon Contact Us