The Department of Financial Services is responsible to provide financial reporting systems, policies and procedures, services and support to other City departments and external entities in order to ensure the City's operations are effectively managed. We provide advice on financial matters to the Mayor and Council and City Managers.

Financial Statements

The Consolidated Financial Statements of the City of Cornwall provide important information about the overall financial condition of the City.  The purpose of the Consolidated Financial Statements is to present the effects of transactions of the City taking into consideration the accounting for all City funds and associated City boards and business enterprises.

The Financial Services Department is responsible for preparing the financial statements for the Corporation of the City of Cornwall. The financial position of the City of Cornwall as at December 31, 2019 is available for viewing or downloading as a pdf file.

The Audited Financial Statements represent a financial snapshot of the books of accounts at year end and financial summary of the operations of the municipality.








To request Financial Statements from previous years, please contact 

Financial Plans

Water and Wastewater Financial Plan (November 2015)

Asset Management Plan (November 2016)

Long Term Financial Plan (June 2017)

Financial Condition Assessment (June 2019)

Accounts Payable

Accounts Payable processes all trade payables and disbursements for all City Departments. Cheque runs are processed every two weeks. Payment terms with the Corporation of the City of Cornwall are net 30 days unless otherwise negotiated.  The City of Cornwall also has an active credit purchase card program.  Corporate Credit Purchase Cards have been issued to authorized employees to use for purchases on behalf of the City.  Use of Purchase Cards is encouraged since it provides prompt payment to suppliers and eliminates administrative costs associated with invoicing and cheque processing.

We can pay you with an Electronic Fund Transfer (EFT) directly to your bank account.  To get paid by EFT please download and complete our registration form  and hand deliver or mail to: 

Accounts Payable - Financial Services
100 Water Street East, Suite 104
PO Box 877, Cornwall ON  K6H 6G4

If you have any questions regarding payments contact Accounts Payable at (613) 930-2787 extension 2314 or 2318 or by e-mail ( stating the invoice number, date and amount outstanding which will assist in us to answer your queries.


 Development Charges

Many municipalities in Ontario use development charges to ensure that the capital cost of providing services to new development is borne by the development receiving the benefit.

For more information please click here: Development Charges

 Municipal Accommodation Tax (MAT)

The Province of Ontario issued the Transient Accommodation Regulation 435/17, which came into force on December 1, 2017 and provided the necessary provisions for municipalities across Ontario to implement a Municipal Accommodation Tax (MAT).

On April 9, 2018 City Council approved By-law 2018-039, a by-law to implement a 4% Municipal Accommodation Tax (MAT) on short-term accommodations in the City effective June 1, 2018.

The tax applies to accommodation sold for a continuous period of less than 30 days in a hotel, motel, lodge, inn, bed and breakfast, dwelling unit or any place an accommodation is provided.

The Municipal Accommodation Tax is not a tax on local businesses. The tax is applied to the accommodation charge only and not to other fees such as valet parking, laundry service or continental breakfast.

The Municipal Accommodation Tax must be identified as a separate item or charge on each bill, receipt or invoice. All guest invoices will include a separate line for 'Municipal Accommodation Tax' as of June 1, 2018.

 General Information

What is the Municipal Accommodation Tax?

The Municipal Accommodation Tax, or MAT, is a 4% tax charged on the cost of fixed roof transient accommodations sold for a continuous period of less than 30 days within the boundaries of the City of Cornwall.

The tax applies to all accommodation sold for a continuous period of less than 30 days in a hotel, motel, lodge, inn, hostel, bed and breakfast, dwelling unit or any place an accommodation is provided.

When do I start charging the Municipal Accommodation Tax?

Effective June 1, 2018.

Is this a mandatory or voluntary tax?

Mandatory. The Municipal Accommodation Tax must be collected by the accommodation provider at the same time customers are charged for the booking.

What is the authority to charge the Municipal Accommodation Tax?

On April 9 2018, Cornwall City Council passed By-Law 2018-039 which provides for mandatory collection and remittance of the Municipal Accommodation Tax.  The municipality is authorized per section 400.1 of the Municipal Act, 2001 and Ontario Regulation 435/17 to establish and to collect the tax.

What happens with the money collected through the Municipal Accommodation Tax?

Funds generated through the Municipal Accommodation Tax will be invested in tourism development efforts in the City of Cornwall. This could include such things as event sponsorship, marketing and promotions, tourism asset development and destination development initiatives.

Ten percent (10%) of the funds collected will be used for administration of the MAT program. Half of the net funds collected will be distributed to a separate, non-profit tourism entity called the Tourism Development Corporation of Cornwall (TDCC). The TDCC has been established for the exclusive purpose of promoting tourism and is governed by a Service Agreement with the City of Cornwall. The TDCC has established the Tourism Development Fund to support events and initiatives that enhance Cornwall's tourism sector. For more information, please click here.

The balance of the funds collected will be retained by the municipality and used for tourism-related activities.

What hotel/accommodation charges are exempt from the Municipal Accommodation Tax?

  • Amenity fees and service charges including meals, room incidentals, valet services or parking provided they are separately itemized on the invoice.
  • Hospitality rooms and meeting rooms that do not contain a bed are not considered accommodations.

Are long-term contracts for room rentals with businesses that exceed 30 days exempt?

Yes, the purchaser, per the By-law, is the person or business who remits money for the room and therefore the Municipal Accommodation Tax would not apply for a contract of 30 days or more. 

What if I have existing contracts with businesses with a fixed room rate?

Municipal Accommodation Tax applies to accommodations purchased on or after June 1, 2018. If payment occurs on or after September 1st for accommodation occupied on or after June 1st, Municipal Accommodation Tax applies even if provided through a corporate contract.


The Municipal Accommodation Tax is not applicable to the following accommodations:

  • Accommodations for a continuous period of more than 30 nights
  • Universities and colleges
  • Hospitals, long-term care homes (as defined in the Long-Term Care Homes Act, 2007) and treatment centres that receive provincial aid under the Ministry of Community and Social Services Act
  • Accommodations supplied by employers to their employees in premises operated by the employer
  • Tent or trailer sites supplied by a campground, tourist camp or trailer park
 Invoicing Information

Do I need to show the Municipal Accommodation Tax on the invoice or receipt?

Yes, every bill, receipt, invoice or similar document for the purchase of accommodation must have a separate item identified as “Municipal Accommodation Tax” showing the rate at which the Municipal Accommodation Tax is calculated (4%) and the amount of the Municipal Accommodation Tax charged.

Is the Harmonized Sales Tax (HST) charged on the Municipal Accommodation Tax?

Yes, if the accommodation provider is registered for HST. The accommodation provider is responsible for collecting and remitting the HST on the room charge and on the Municipal Accommodation Tax. HST is remitted directly to the Canada Revenue Agency. 

What revenue does the Municipal Accommodation Tax apply to if I charge a fee that includes accommodation and meals (i.e. bed and breakfast)?

It is the responsibility of the accommodation provider to allocate the revenue from the accommodation charge separate from other services, amenities or charges on the invoice and collect and remit the Municipal Accommodation Tax on the accommodation portion of the fees. If the fees are not separately listed on the invoice, the Municipal Accommodation Tax will apply to the entire invoice.

What happens if guests do not show up for their reservation?

The Municipal Accommodation Tax is to be collected and remitted if the accommodation is charged.  If the guest is not charged but is required to pay a cancellation fee, the Municipal Accommodation Tax would not apply to the cancellation fee.

 Collection and Remittance

How do I report and remit the Municipal Accommodation Tax that I collected?

Complete the City of Cornwall’s Municipal Accommodation Tax Return Form.


See the form for instructions and information about reporting periods, calculations, exemptions and adjustments, payment and submission.

What if a refund was issued to a guest after submitting the return?

Adjustments from prior reporting periods can be made in the period the refund was returned.

Is there interest or penalties if I don't remit?

Yes. Interest and penalties will apply on any overdue remittance at a monthly rate of 1.25% from the first day after the tax remittance is due and interest will apply after each month thereafter on the principal amount owing during time as the default continues.

What if I did not collect any Municipal Accommodation Tax in the reporting period?

If you did not sell any accommodations subject to the Municipal Accommodation Tax and thus no Municipal Accommodation Tax was collected, you will still be required to submit the Municipal Accommodation Tax Return indicating that no Municipal Accommodation Tax was collected in the reporting period.

Is there an auditing process to verify submissions?

Yes. The City of Cornwall's tax collectors may inspect and audit all books, documents, transactions and accounts of accommodation providers for the purposes of administering and enforcing By-law 2018-039.


About the Legislation

The Municipal Accommodation Tax is a new revenue tool that the provincial government has given Ontario municipalities to further promote tourism as an economic driver.

On May 17, 2017, the Province enacted Bill 127, Stronger, Healthier Ontario Act, 2017, providing municipalities the authority to levy a transient accommodation tax (hotel tax).  The Transient Accommodation Regulation 435/17 came into force on December 1, 2017, outlining provisions for municipalities across Ontario to implement a Municipal Accommodation Tax (MAT).

The Regulation applies if a municipality imposes a tax in respect of the purchase of transient accommodation in the municipality under section Municipal Act 400.1 of the Act


For additional information on MAT please contact 


Public Sector Salary Disclosure

In accordance with the Public Sector Salary Disclosure Act, the City of Cornwall is required to annually disclose the names of all employees who were paid $100,000 or more the previous year. These individuals and more information about the Public Sector Salary Disclosure Act can be found on The Ministry of Finance Public Sector Salary Disclosure page.


Surplus Lands for Sale

305 York Street, Cornwall. Click here for the complete information package

305 York Addendum #1

 For further details, please contact Financial Services at

phone icon Contact Us

Financial Services
100 Water Street East, PO Box 877, Cornwall ON, K6H 5T9
T.: 613-930-2787 ext.2332
F.: 613-937-7509
Email this contact
Map this location