The Mission of the City of Cornwall's Medical Scholarship fund is to attract Family Practitioners to the City of Cornwall by supporting qualified candidates and to encourage Cornwall and region residents by providing financial support towards their studies leading to setting up a permanent long term practice in the City.
Qualified candidates are invited to submit an application for its medical scholarship. Applications must be submitted no later than Friday, July 10, 2015 to:
Medical Scholarship Selection Committee
(Attention Mark Boileau, Manager, Economic Development)
100 Water Street East, Suite 104
The City of Cornwall Medical Scholarship is valued at $25,000 annually and may be awarded, each year, for up to six years, to a qualified Medical Student. In order to be eligible, candidates must meet the following criteria:
- Be a permanent resident of the City of Cornwall or, the United Counties of Stormont, Dundas & Glengarry.
- Be accepted into full-time studies in a Faculty of Medicine in Canada with the intent of becoming qualified to practice Family Medicine in the Province of Ontario or,
- Be currently enrolled in full-time studies in a Faculty of Medicine in Canada with the intent of becoming qualified to practice Family Medicine in the Province of Ontario.
Individuals meeting the requirements stated above are invited to submit an application for consideration by the Medical Scholarship Committee. The application will include but not be limited to the following:
- A brief personal profile.
- University at which medical studies are being (or will be) carried out.
- Awards and achievements
- Any other information the applicant deems appropriate.
Submitted applications will be reviewed by a selection committee, followed by an interview, to determine if a candidate best meets the spirit of the Mission Statement. The successful candidate will enter into a legal agreement with the City of Cornwall for the duration of the scholarship period.
In return for scholarship funding, the Medical Student shall, within three months of acquiring certification by the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario, commence and carry out a Family Practice in the City of Cornwall for a period of not less than five years which includes undertaking admitting hospital privileges.
For further information, please contact:
Manager, Economic Development
613-930-2787 ext. 2599