Household garbage is collected on a weekly basis.
The 2014 - 2015 Waste and Recycling Collection Calendar will be delivered to households in July!
In the meantime, please refer to our April - June 2014 Waste & Recycling Calendar below.
Place your garbage at the curb after 7 pm the night before or prior to 7 am on the day of your regular collection day. Do not block walkways or place garbage in the street.
Homeowners are responsible for the garbage and Blue/Black box until collection. All uncollected material must be removed from the curbside that same day.
Garbage should be properly bagged or
placed in suitable containers:
- Bags designed for use as garbage bags: Minimum size of 60 cm x 90 cm (24 in. x 36 in.)
- Commercially manufactured garbage containers:
136 litre (30 gal.) containers, 27 kg (60 lbs.) or less
- Pails, large drums and cardboard boxes are not acceptable
- Please do not place garbage or Blue/Black box materials on top of snow banks.
- Clear snow to ground level at the end of your driveway or near the curb where garbage and blue/black box material is to be placed for final collection.
- Do not block the sidewalk.
- During winter conditions, it is the responsibility of the householder to expose and loosen garbage or blue/black box material covered by snowfall and/or snow removal equipment.
All stacks of branches or wood must be tied in tightly bound bundles. The bundles must never be more than
1 m (3 feet) in length or more than 1 m (3 feet) in diameter or weigh more than 27 kg (60 lbs).
Yard debris may be placed in a standard garbage bag or container, and the weight should not exceed 27 kg (60 lbs). Rather than putting yard debris out for garbage collection, residents are encouraged to compost this material.
The City's garbage contractor provides an "as encountered" heavy collection. Generally, this means that each resident will be allowed to put out their heavy refuse for collection on their regular collection day.
- With the exception of brick, asphalt, stones or concrete, residents may carry to the curbside for collection broken plaster, lumber, carpet or other wastes from construction or demolition. These items should be placed in commercially manufactured garbage containers, 22 to 136 litres (5 to 30 gal.) or stacked and tied in bundles not exceeding 1m. (3 feet) in any dimension or 27 kg. (60 lbs.) in weight. Do not place any waste at the curb in cardboard boxes. Waste materials contained in cardboard boxes will not be collected.
- Discarded furniture and home furnishings will be accepted at the curb.
- Old batteries, all metals, electrical wiring, metal bathtubs and sinks are accepted at local scrap metal dealers. For alternative disposal methods, check out the Waste Disposal Alternatives page.
- Automobile parts are not collected at the curb.
White goods (scrap refrigerators, stoves, washers, dryers, freezers, dishwashers, hot water tanks and furnaces) are not collected via regular garbage collection. Residents should:
- When negotiating the purchase of a new appliance, negotiate the disposal of the old appliance with the vendor.
- Contact local reuse entrepreneurs or scrap metal dealers for collection/disposal of scrap white good items. For more options, check out the Waste Disposal Alternatives page.
- Deliver scrap white goods (including freon appliances) to the City Landfill Site. Tipping fee charges will apply.
- White good items may be collected by the City at a cost of $25 per unit on a once monthly basis. Collection permits must be purchased from the City Taxation Department at City Hall (360 Pitt Street).
- Doors must be removed from fridges and freezers.
Scrap tires will are not collected at the curb. Residents are encouraged to:
- Recycle old tires at the point of purchase.
- Deliver old tires to the City Landfill Site. Tipping fee charges will apply.
- Many car garages accept scrap tires. For more information, check out the Waste Disposal Alternatives page.
Not sure how to dispose of a specific item? Check out our Waste Disposal Chart to find the answer.
For additional information, please call (613) 937-1777 or HGC Management Inc. at (613) 936-6072.
Back to the main Garbage and Recycling page.