Skip to content

FAQ - Admissions

The following are questions that are often asked by families and future residents. Simply click on the question to see the answer.

How do I become a Resident of the Glen Stor Dun Lodge?

Potential applicants and their families are welcome and encouraged to visit the Lodge for a tour before placing their names on the application list.  Please call the receptionist at the Lodge to book a time for a tour.

How long is the waiting list for admittance to the Glen Stor Dun Lodge?

The waiting list is variable for each floor of the Lodge, depending on care needs.  Information can be obtained from the Community Care Access Centre or the Lodge's Administration.

What is the difference between a retirement home and a long term care facility?

A retirement home is a facility that offers accommodation for persons who are relatively independent and do not require extensive nursing care.

Long Term Care (L.T.C.) facilities are regulated by the Ministry of Health and Long Term Care. It offers additional nursing care services for persons who need help with some or all of their activities for daily living.

Is consent required for admission to a L.T.C. facility?

Consent is required in order for a person to be admitted to a long-term care facility.  If a person is apparently incapable of making decisions regarding his/her personal care, the consent of his/her substitute decision-maker (S.D.M.) is required.  If the S.D.M. is not identified, the Placement Coordinator at the C.C.A.C. is responsible for locating a S.D.M. 

What are the eligibility criteria to enter a L.T.C. facility?

The applicant must: 

  • be at least 18 years of age
  • have a valid Ontario Health Card, or obtain one
  • have care needs that can be met in a long-term care facility
  • need one of the following:¬†
    - availability of nursing care 24 hours a day 
    - assistance with activities of daily living 
    - on-site supervision/monitoring daily 
    - be at-risk of being abused at home (emotional, financial, and/or physical abuse) 
    - be at-risk due to environmental factors at home 
    - be at-risk to other persons in present residence 
  • be in a situation where government-funded community programs are not available and/or sufficient to meet the applicant's needs

How is admission to a L.T.C. facility determined?

Placement Coordinators at C.C.A.C.'s determine admission using standard eligibility requirements as set out in a Placement Coordination Service (P.C.S.) Manual, developed by the provincial government.  Assessment information is then forwarded to the long-term care facility in order for the facility to determine whether it can appropriately meet the person's needs. 

What must an individual provide to apply to a L.T.C. facility?

  • a consent form indicating that the person has requested the Placement Coordination Services (P.C.S.) at their local C.C.A.C. to determine eligibility
  • proof that he/she is insured under the Health Insurance Act
  • proof that he/she is at least 18 years of age (where applicant's age is in doubt)
  • current medical information
  • current functional and health assessment
  • additional information as deemed necessary by the P.C.S.

During the initial discussion, the P.C.S. staff provides an overview of the application process as well as the types of information required throughout this process, including admissions, waiting list priorities, person's rights, resident charges, and alternate community-based services. 

What if a person is deemed to be ineligible for long-term care? 

If a person is declared ineligible for long-term care by P.C.S., a written notice must be sent to the person to include a statement of ineligibility, reasons for the determination, and the applicant's rights regarding appeal. If a person is declared ineligible or if an eligible person cannot be immediately accommodated in a L.T.C. facility, the P.C.S. shall make appropriate referrals and/or suggest alternative services on an interim basis. 

What should I look for when choosing a LTC facility?

Your C.C.A.C. office will provide you with a list of facilities in your area.  When touring these homes be sure to check for: 

  • safety measures (e.g. handrails, secure carpeting)
  • smoking policy
  • atmosphere of warmth, concern, and friendliness
  • signs that residents' needs are met
  • services and activities available
  • how medical care is provided routinely and in emergencies
  • participation of family members in planning and providing for the resident's care
  • participation of volunteers
  • visiting hours
  • safe-keeping of personal belongings
  • arrangement for billing and extra charges
  • vacation arrangements
  • hospitalization arrangements
  • personal furniture and belongings allowed
  • dining arrangements
  • convenient location for visiting
  • ability to meet your religious, cultural, language, and dietary needs
  • availability of public transportation

More Information

A more detailed guide can be obtained from your C.C.A.C. at the following:

C.C.A.C. for the Eastern Counties
709 Cotton Mill Street
Cornwall, Ontario, K6H 7K7
Telephone: (613) 936-1171
Facsimile: (613) 933-9916
Toll Free: 1-800-267-0852

Sources for content on this page:
CCAC -- Ontario
Ontario Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care web site

If your question was not answered on this page, please submit your query to us using our Contact Us page.