Probationary Firefighter Recruitment
Are you interested in becoming a firefighter with the Cornwall Fire Service? On this page, you will find information on the qualifications and steps involved in the probationary firefighter recruitment process.
Applicants must possess the following qualifications:
- A completed Pre-Service Firefighter Education and Training Program, or Firefighting experience: Currently functioning as a career or volunteer firefighter;
- Must provide current Basic First Aid and C.P.R. Certificates;
- Be able to pass Fire Services General Knowledge and Mathematics tests;
- Be able to pass medical examination of the Department including: Visual Acuity, Uncorrected 20/30 Vision and Normal Colour Vision;
- Possess a valid unrestricted Ontario Class D Driver's License with Z endorsement, or provincial equivalent (Proof of this requirement is required at formal interview stage);
- At time of formal interview, applicant must provide a clean criminal record clearance, a valid Candidate Physical Ability Testing (CPAT)* Certificate including a swim test and a Driver's Abstract with no more than six (6) demerit points accumulated. * A CPAT License is available at Brock University, University of Waterloo, and the Fire & Emergency Services Training Institute.
The Corporation of The City of Cornwall is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Copies of Recruitment Booklet are made available to applicants at the time of the recruitment competition.
The recruitment process for the Cornwall Fire Service involves multiple stages. Generally, a recruitment process is initiated when there are anticipated openings on the horizon within the Cornwall Fire Service.
Thank you for your interest.
If you have specific questions about the recruitment process, please contact Human Resources.