Skip to content


Obtaining a Marriage Licence

Getting Married? Here's what you need to know.

Who can marry me?

A religious marriage can be performed by a member of a recognized religious organization authorized to perform marriages in Ontario under the Marriage Act.

A civil marriage ceremony can be performed by a Justice of the Peace or Municipal Clerk.  To get more information on this service please click here:

Do I need a Marriage Licence?

In most cases, you must obtain a Marriage Licence through your local municipality. 

If you are being married in a religious ceremony, you may be eligible to be married by a Publication of Banns (making an announcement of the details of your intent to marry in your church, mosque or synagogue).  Speak to your religious official for more information.

How do I get a Marriage Licence or Marriage Certificate?

You may download a copy of either of the forms by clicking on the following links. You may also get a copy from City Hall located at the address further down below.

Marriage Licence requirements 

A Marriage Licence can be issued to the Applicant / Applicants only. The issuing process takes approximately thirty (30) minutes, assuming all conditions have been met and all required paperwork is provided.

The fee for a Marriage Licence is $130.00 (cash, money order, interact or credit card accepted). 

Both parties must sign the Marriage Licence Application.  If the Applicant / Applicants live at a Rural Route Number or have a box number as an address, the Lot number is required as well as the Concession and Township of the actual street address.

Either Applicant may submit the completed Licence Application to the Clerk's Department at Cornwall's City Hall in order to obtain the Marriage Licence, provided that he or she presents the required identification for both parties.

No person under the age of sixteen (16) may marry.

Any person who is seventeen (17) years of age (other than a widow or divorced person) must have the written consent of his / her legal guardian.  A special Consent from is available for this purpose from your local Issuer of Marriage Licences.

Identification Required

Two original pieces of identification are required for each of the parties (photocopies are not accepted)
as follows:

One of the following:

  • Birth Certificate and any Change of Name Certificates
  • Record of Immigrant Landing
  • Canadian Citizenship Card
  • Permanent Resident Card

 Together with one of the following Photo Identification:

  • BYID Age of Majority Card
  • Driver's Licence
  • Valid Passport

 Divorce Documents Required

When an Applicant has been divorced and the Divorce was granted in Canada, the original or a Court Certified Copy of the Decree Absolute or Certificate of Divorce is required.  A Copy can only be certified by the Court in which the Applicant was divorced (a photocopy will not be accepted).  In the case of a Divorce granted in Quebec, the Divorce Judgment will only be accepted if it was issued before 1986.

If the Divorce was granted outside of Canada, please consult the Clerk's Department at City Hall for further details regarding Provincial Authorization.  The process of applying for and receiving the necessary authorization may result in a delay in the issuance of the Marriage Licence.

When an Applicant is a widow / widower, the original Death Certificate or Funeral Director's Statement of Death is required.

Validness of a Marriage Licence

A Marriage Licence is valid for use anywhere in Ontario for a period of three (3) months from the date of issue.  There is no waiting period required between issuance of the Licence and the day of marriage.

Publication of Banns

A marriage may be solemnized under the authority of the Publication of Banns if both parties to the proposed marriage worship regularly at their own church in Canada. No one may marry under the authority of the Publication of Banns if there was a previous marriage (dissolved or annulled). Further information concerning a marriage under the authority of the Publication of Banns may be obtained from a Minister or a member of the Clergy.

Marriage Act, Section 35(1)

Every person who knowingly makes any false statement in any document required under this Act in addition to any other penalty or punishment to which the person may be liable, is guilty of an offence, and on conviction, is liable to a fine of not more than $1,000.00 or to imprisonment for a term of not more than one year, or to both.

General Enquiry                                                                                                      

Office of the City Clerk
The Corporation of the City of Cornwall
P.O. Box 877
360 Pitt Street
Cornwall, Ontario
K6H 5T9

Phone: 613-930-2787 (ext. 2334 or 2305)
Business Hours are from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday to Friday.